Monday, January 21, 2013

Brrrr...8 Degrees and loving it!!

I haven't posted anything in a few days but u did have a good weekend. I ran 12 miles on Saturday and Thursday I got my 3 in.

But that was last week and tonight starts this week and what a night to start the week off. I knew it was going to be a cold week so I went to my favorite running store in Northville, MI and bought a balaclava. Let's just say besides my under armor cold gear, this was the best purchase. When I picked up the girls after work I told them I bought a new hat for running so they asked me to try it on...they had no idea what to expect. My youngest one lauded hysterically and my 9 year old was also cracking up. They said I looked like Batman, but I told them I thought I looked like Spider-Man lol. That started a whole conversation that I won't get in too, but it was funny.

So I kept checking the weather report to see how much the temperature kept dropping along with the windchill. I started and it was 11 degrees fahrenheit and felt like -2. Within the first 1/2 mile I had icicles on my face and eye lashes. The hardest part was getting some traction in the little but of snow. I wore 3 layers of shirts, 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of gloves,, my balaclava and another hat along with my head light. With it being so cold I figured that would be sufficient. I guessed right because I felt great temperature wise. My ties lost feeling until the 4th mile but when that came back I felt great. When I finished up my run the temp was 8 degrees and felt like -8 with the winds at 17 miles per hour. What I kept thinking about was how much these tough runs will pay off when I'm running my first marathon. I know the mileage won't be easy and I have a long way to go, but getting out there, even in these crazy cold temperatures, will only make me stronger. Lucky for me tonight I wore my head light as I normally do at night because some car noticed me at the last second and stopped pretty suddenly. I we watching him and slowed down anyway, but I could see the look in his face that he didn't see me until the last minute. He waved and I waved back and I kept going, but just be careful out there and don't ever expect them to give you the right away. That's how bad things can happen.

Happy running, embrace the cold weather and enjoy the icicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment